Wednesday, April 15, 2009

First post

Ok. I finally gave in. As anyone who knows me will attest, I hate technology. I hate cell phones...and normal phones for that matter. I have NEVER had an meaningful conversation over the phone. And I especially hate texting. Blogging is somewhere not too far down on my blacklist of modern technological innovations that are slowly destroying personal communication in the world. My first step into this was a cell phone only four years ago...then a myspace...and of course that was old hat before too long...so a facebook shortly thereafter. And I've finally given in to blogging as well. Life was so much cleaner and simpler without all this stuff. I would much rather sit down and have a real, genuine, intimate conversation with my good friends than post my thoughts here on some blog that's out in the nebulous cyber world. And I know I'm old-fashioned...people think I'm crazy to write with a fountain pen and wear a hand-wound mechanical watch...but there's something comfortingly personal about these things. There's a warmth to these things much like sitting down with people and having a real conversation. But I do live in the 21st century...and technology appears to be destroying the past and my old-fashioned ways...so here I go...yet another step. So why am I doing this anyway? Because after July 27 I'll be in Richmond, Virginia for training to be a missionary in Ecuador. And then I'll be in Ecuador for two years. And for all that time I'll be out of personal communication. So I want to keep everyone filled in on what's going on in my life and this seems to be the best way now that even e-mail is considered old. I'll try to have something somewhat important or at least interesting to say...mainly spiritual stuff but I'm sure there'll be plenty of rants like tonight's. Oh, and sorry to disappoint but I have nothing profound or spiritual to say on this first post...just my rant on how technology is the bane of existence. Maybe I'll have something profound next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment