Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Tomorrow never comes...

Well it sure seems like that sometimes...but this time tomorrow is coming. And tomorrow in the early hours of the morning I will be leaving Greenville, SC...home for 22 years...and won't be returning for some time. It's been great and full of memories. I'm sad to leave friends, family, and my church behind. But it's definitely time to do this. So...around lunch time tomorrow I should be in Antigua, Guatemala. I'll be there for 3 months doing language school. I'll be living with a Guatemalan family so I don't know what the internet situation will be exactly. If I have easy and cheap (or free) access to high-speed internet then contact will not change a whole lot. I have a Vonage phone that connects to the internet and has a local (864) area code. So if and when I get that up and running ya'll can feel free to call me at 864-335-9496. Of course, I'm also on Facebook and have e-mail. This blog will also get updated more frequently than in the past now that there's acutally stuff to write about and pictures to post. And on the note of new happenings...I'm no longer going to Ibarra but to Cuenca. It's a long story...but the short version is that the career missionaries I was going to serve under aren't being brought back due to the budget problems the IMB is currently experiencing. To my knowledge, there are no IMB missionaries going back to replace them. As a result, I am now going to serve in Cuenca, Ecuador. I don't expect there to be huge changes in the job description and the altitude, climate, etc is very much the same as in Ibarra. The only difference is that Cuenca is in southern Ecuador...about 4 hours south of Guayacil and probably 8 or so south of Quito. Cuenca is also the third largest city in Ecuador so that's a step up from Ibarra. So far I don't know a whole lot about the new job...so more on that when it comes. Hopefully I'll have some pictures from Guatemala to post later this week.

2 comments:

  1. After a late night of packing, David was up before 5:00 AM this morning. He had completed 99% of his packing but needed to make some minor adjustments to keep the weight of each of his two bags under 70 pounds. David's flight took off at 6:30 this morning. He is scheduled to leave Atlanta at 9:45 and arrive in Antigua around 12:00 noon.If you're reading this before 12:00, pray for his safe arrival in Antigua

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were so happy to hear that you arrived safely and have settled into your host's home for the next few months. Hope you can get a good night's sleep tonight. I know you will enjoy getting to go into the city of Antigua tomorrow to look around. We love you and miss you!

    Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete