Wednesday, May 13, 2009

"And shall I pray Thee change Thy will?"

"And shall I pray Thee change Thy will, my Father,
Until it be according unto mine?
But no, Lord, no; that never shall be, rather
I pray Thee, blend my human will with Thine.

I pray Thee hush the hurrying, eager longing,
I pray Thee, soothe the pangs of keen desire,
See in my quiet places wishes thronging --
Forbid them, Lord, purge, though it be with fire.

And work in me to will and do Thy pleasure,
Let all within me, peaceful, reconciled,
Tarry content my Wellbeloved's leisure
At last, at last, even as a weened child."

This was written by Nathan Brown, a missionary to Burma in the 1800's. I found it while reading through "Shadow of the Almighty". It was a common prayer from Jim and Elisabeth during their uncertain times before leaving for Ecuador. So much uncertainty, doubt, longing, desire, and on, and on, and on. Lord, that the prayer will be true for my life just as you were so obviously faithful to it in the Elliot's.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You find some of the best poetry and hymns- I love it. Definitely need that prayer too- Lord, change my will and conform it to Yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way- this is Nathan from church, if you're wondering. (using one of my various online monikers derived from 2 favorite shows of mine- i.e. MacGyver and Quantum Leap ;-))

    ReplyDelete